Thursday, April 5, 2007

Free Choice: 4


Last summer I went to France, we only stayed in Paris for a few nights, but while we were there we, of course, saw the Eiffel tower. It seemed like one of the most important things to do while we were there. There is always so much hype around it, and I can't say it ever let me down. The structure was huge and so complicated. Eiffel, the man who built the Eiffel tower also constructed the Statue of liberty. I have been to the top of both of these iconic towers, and it would have been a hard task to over imagine either. The Eiffel tower was supposedly first built for a party and opened to bad reviews from the french. Now it is certainly seen with different eyes. There must have been over a thousand metal beams supporting and building up the tall structure. Once you had climbed the seemingly millions of stairs up to the top you could see the entire city, the Notre Dame, Arc de Triumph and small cobble stone streets of Paris were within a half an hours reach, and the tip of the swaying Eiffel tower was touching your feet. I felt like I was on top of the world, I was really just on the top of Paris France, but that is not much compromise. With the seine river flowing close by I took a deep breath of the clear summer air and began the long descent. While the rest of my trip was amazing and though I had a chance to see world famous painting and cathedrals, nothing can top the Eiffel tower.

No comments: